Why are highly toxic metals put in materials for our mouths? Because not everyone agrees on what is toxic at what level. Just decades ago lead was commonly found in paint, and until recently in gasoline. Lead was not less toxic then, we were just less informed! The government sets standards of toxicity, but those “standards” change as more research is done (and more people speak out). You can do better than the government by dropping your standard for toxic metals to zero! Simply remove them. The debate still rages over mercury amalgam fillings. No one disputes the extreme toxicity of mercury compounds and mercury vapor. The ADA feels that mercury amalgam fillings are safe because they do not vaporize or form toxic compounds to a significant degree. Opponents cite scientific studies that implicate mercury amalgams as disease causing. Many dentists advocate mercury amalgam fillings simply because they are accepted by the ADA, which they believe protects them from malpractice litigation. Why risk your health and life on their opinions? Remember everything corrodes and everything seeps, so amalgams must too. Cadmium is used to make the pink color in dentures! Cadmium is five times as toxic as lead, and is strongly linked to high blood pressure. Occasionally, thallium and germanium are found together in mercury amalgam tooth fillings. Thallium causes leg pain, leg weakness, and paraplegia. If you are in a wheelchair without a very reliable diagnosis, have all the metal removed from your mouth. Ask the dentist to give you the grindings. Try to have them analyzed for thallium using the most sensitive methods available, possibly at a research institute or university. I was astonished to find thallium in mercury amalgams! It couldn’t be put there intentionally, look how toxic it is: TEJ500 HR: 3 THALLIUM COMPOUNDS Thallium and its compounds are on the Community Right To Know List. THR: Extremely toxic. The lethal dose for a man by ingestion is 0.5-1.0 gram. Effects are cumulative and with continuous exposure toxicity occurs at much lower levels. Major effects are on the nervous system, skin and cardiovascular tract. The peripheral nervous system can be severely affected with dying-back of the longest sensory and motor fibers. Reproductive organs and the fetus are highly susceptible. Acute poisoning has followed the ingestion of toxic quantities of a thallium-bearing depilatory and accidental or suicidal ingestion of rat poison. Acute poisoning results in swelling of the feet and legs, arthralgia, vomiting, insomnia, hyperesthesia and paresthesia [numbness] of the hands and feet, mental confusion, polyneuritis with severe pains in the legs and loins, partial paralysis of the legs with reaction of degeneration, angina-like pains, nephritis, wasting and weakness, and lymphocytosis and eosinophilia. About the 18th day, complete loss of the hair on the body and head may occur. Fatal poisoning has been known to occur. Recovery requires months and may be incomplete. Industrial poisoning is reported to have caused discoloration of the hair (which later falls out), joint pain, loss of appetite, fatigue, severe pain in the calves of the legs, albuminuria, eosinophilia, lymphocytosis and optic neuritis followed by atrophy. Cases of industrial poisoning are rare, however. Thallium is an experimental teratogen [used to induce birth defects for study]. When heated to decomposition they [sic] emit highly toxic fumes of Tl [thallium]. See also THALLIUM and specific compounds. (Dangerous Properties of Industrial Materials, 7th ed. by N. Irving Sax and Richard J. Lewis Sr., Van NOSTRAND, Reinhold N.Y. 1989.) Thallium pollution frightens me more than lead, cadmium and mercury combined, because it is completely unsuspected. Its last major use, rat poison, was banned in the 1970s. Every wheelchair patient I tested was positive for thallium! One current use for thallium is in Arctic/Antarctic thermostats. When added to mercury the mercury will stay liquid at lower temperatures. Are mercury suppliers then providing the dental industry with tainted amalgam? The cancer causing or carcinogenic action of metals has been studied for a long time, although it doesn’t get attention by our regulatory agencies. A scientific book on this subject was published in 1980. (The title is Carcinogenicity and Metal Ions. It is volume 10 of a series called Metal Ions in Biological Systems, edited by Helmut Sigel. A university chemistry library should have this book. It has a fascinating chapter on the leukemias by two scientists from the Academy of Sciences of the USSR, E. L. Andronikashvili and L. Mosulishvili. Their brilliant work and discussion was largely responsible for my pursuit of the whole subject of cancer.) One table from this book is shown on page 431. We can see that chromium and nickel compounds are the most carcinogenic metals. Nickel is used in gold crowns, braces, and children’s crowns! Note that the form of the metal is very important. For instance chromium is an essential element of glucose tolerance factor, but most of its other compounds are extremely toxic. In general, xenobiotic compounds (foreign) are to be avoided! Metal doesn’t belong in our foods or in our bodies.